Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The winter is beginning. I have the opportunity to ski at a lot of smaller ski areas in the eastern USA. I will try and chronicle my travels and experiences this winter in this blog. I hope I can share many good things with you.

A little background is in order. I have 2 skiing jobs. I am on the educational staff at PSIA-E (Professional Ski Instructors of America Eastern Division). I have done this job in a part time capacity since the early 1990's. This year, with other commitments out of my life, my plan is to work many events for PSIA-E .  These are mostly 2 day educational ski events that are for ski instructors maintaining their membership in PSIA , preparing for an exam to obtain a ski instructor's certification and/or just having fun skiing and learning. I am also starting my 19th season as a Alpine Ski Racing JIII coach (13-14 year olds, both genders) with the Labrador Mountain Ski Club. Labrador Mt is a 700 ft vertical, 4 lift ski area smack dab in the middle of New York about 25 miles south of Syracuse. Both of my skiing jobs take me to many, mostly small ski areas in mostly New York and Pennsylvania and occasionally further south and sometimes into New England.

Ski season really begins in September. PSIA National sends us the catalog, the Eastern PSIA office sends the educational staff information about the coming season, the first Ski Pro (PSIA zine) arrives, my athletes need to get fitted for equipment and the local shop holds a large race night in September. Ski, Skiing and Ski Racing start showing up in the mail again. For me September is a yin and yang. I love the summer. I love to hike, swim, paddle canoes, run, cook out, sit on my porch, eat stuff out of the garden, and everything else about summer. I hate to see it go. I get worried about heating bills, snow pack on my roof, clearing the driveway, making sure my daughter's ski race entries are in and the craziness that accompanies doing 2 basically full time ski jobs but, I love to ski. I love the first snow (even if it is a waste). I love the first day out even if the conditions and acreage available are questionable. It is great to see my ski friends, my athletes, the parents of my athletes and get on the hill and just ski. The local areas in Central NY try and get open as soon as they can after Thanksgiving. We are getting close even if it is 50 degrees with rain pounding on my roof right now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment