Monday, February 28, 2011

Bear Creek Mounatin Resort

It was back to PA February 8-10. This time to Bear Creek Mountain Resort located near Allentown. This area was called Doe Mountain until 1999. It is pretty small and pretty mild in terms of terrain. The have done a huge amount of development around the lodge. There is a nice hotel and the area put me up in a slope side room. The staff all seemed genuinely happy to be of service. They do a pretty nice job with customer service. This is the second time this winter I have stayed at the mountain (Ski Liberty was the other). Because I am a bit of a cheapskate (skiing for a living is marginal at best money wise) I did not get in my car and wander off premises for for anything the two days I was there. Wednesday night, I ate dinner in the restaurant at the mountain with some other PSIA ed staff. I have kind of fallen into a Caesar salad with chicken rut and ordered one and a Guinness. The Guinness was perfect and the salad was okay. I could have used a bit more bite in the dressing. I guess I mean more garlic and lemon. The croƻtons were white bread and seemed purchased. The chicken was grilled nicely but not spiced. That said it hit the spot and I was a happy camper it is just that I seem to be eating this dish a couple of times a week so I have begun comparing.

They were doing a kind of weird snow management thing on the hill. They were grooming and then blowing a layer of man made show on top. This left the surface pretty sticky and slow. For me, this was not too much fun to ski in. My group were really nice people and despite being a level 1 exam, we all had a good 2 days. I left Thursday afternoon a little after 4:00 PM and the temperature was 27 degrees. By the time I was back in Truxton, it was negative 6...cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment